Friday, July 9, 2010

What any normal person would do

I am backtracking in posts, but this story is too hilarious not to tell.

Around the end of May, we had a mini-family vacation.  I had to attend my denomination's Annual Conference in Lancaster so the whole family came along.  We spent two nights and three days at the brand-new Marriott in downtown Lancaster.  Tim and Evie had a wonderful time: swimming in the pool, going to see Peter Pan at a marionette theater, visiting many fountains, and eating out.  Isaac accompanied me to many many many meetings.  He and I did not have so much fun, oh well.  In the evenings, when the kids somehow fell asleep despite the distraction of everyone being in one room, Tim would go down to the conference's bookstore and raid the bookstore offerings.  He was in heaven.


We were so busy, we forgot to take pictures.  This picture is the only one we took the entire weekend.  Evie is sitting on her pull-out bed, which is right next to our massive wall/window.  We are on the 27th floor, so the view of Lancaster is pretty nice.


This vacation was also a test of Evie's potty training:  were we successful enough that she would be accident-free for an entire weekend away from home?  She wore diapers at night and a swim diaper in the pool, but other than that, she was great!

The last thing I had to do before we could return home was to assist the Bishop during an Ordination Service.  So I was tied up for over two hours, and since it was late in the day we were already checked out of our hotel room.  Tim had both the kids, and borrowed my iPhone to amuse Evie while he worked on getting Isaac to sleep.  They camped out in a small gathering area with couches and chairs in an out-of-the-way part of the lobby.  At some point, when Evie was watching the 10th video of Ariel singing about being Part Of Your World on YouTube, Tim realized that it had been quite awhile since Evie visited the potty.

"Evie, do you need to go potty?"

"No, I don't", says Evie who is mesmerized by mermaids.

Then Tim discovers it.  She doesn't have to use the potty because she already WENT TO THE POTTY.  On the cushion of a very nice couch in the lobby of the new Marriott.

"So," Tim tells me, "I did what any normal person would do.  I turned the cushion over on the couch, and took the kids and left to find a bathroom."  


I already feel sorry for the poor Marriott hotel worker who will discover Evie's surprise.

No comments: