Friday, July 9, 2010

The Evening "Itis"

When it is late afternoon, and the heat of the day begins to truly sink in, you may find yourself very drowsy.  You may even find yourself succumbing to an unplanned nap on your couch or in your chair.  Once, I woke up with my face on my keyboard; I had fallen asleep at work in front of my computer.  Good times.

Of course, we are meant to take naps during this time of day and it is unnatural for our bodies to fight so hard against the physical need to rest.  However, we must fight against this urge, what so many of us call the "itis,"because we live in sadistic world where business, productivity and making money is more important than what is actually good for our bodies.

More ridiculously, we demand our children take the nap we know they so desperately need, the same nap we consistently deny ourselves.  Why does it make sense to some?  I don't know.  I think we need to institute a nation-wide siesta.  The Spanish know what they are doing here.

So when little children refuse to take their naps when they are supposed to, they usually end up crashing at some point; they don't have the willpower or the access to coffee and chocolate that adults do.

Here are some pictorial examples of what resisting the itis can do.

When it is really hot, I would let Evie stay in her underwear all day.  Somehow she found these shoes and put them on.  I left the living room for five minutes. When I came back, this is what I found:

At the same time, Isaac had been fussing for a long time.  I finally got tired of holding him and just put him in the swing.  After finding Evie asleep, this is what I discovered next:



Ahhhhh, blessed sleep. zzzzzzzz …

No comments: