Sunday, May 16, 2010

Isaac 4.5

He is now 4 and a half months old, and I really can't believe how fast he is growing.

First of all, he is falling asleep so much easier than before.  I THOUGHT THIS DAY WOULD NEVER ARRIVE.   But now that it has, all I can say is Praise God, I THANK YOU!  This is his usual sleep position: flat on his back.  I have tried to get him to sleep on his side, but to no avail.  Which is why the back of his head is so very flat.

One day when he is much older and he complains about the flatness of the back of his head, I will tell him that I truly tried to prevent it and then correct it.  I really did.  But since he wouldn't sleep unless it was on the flat of his back, my choices came down to 1) a really cranky baby or 2) a really flat head.  I chose option 2.  This way, we would all live.

We have also discovered a secret sleep weapon:  a fuzzy blanket.  There is a particular blanket that, once given to Isaac, will induce sleep almost immediately.  So the process is wait for rubbing of the eye, or a yawn, or pulling at the ear. Then immediately into his room, close his curtains.  Stand next to his crib, a few pats on the bottom and lay him down in the crib.  Give him his blanket, say a few reassuring words, and then walk out of the room, close the door.  In a few minutes, you will have a knocked out baby.  IT'S MAGIC, I TELL YOU.



Last night around 1 a.m., I heard a bit of crying and moaning coming from his room, followed by the sound of a toy jingling.  He had somehow rotated himself around, picked up one of the toys I left for him in the corner of the crib, and was playing with it.  This morning, that toy was tossed to the other side of the crib.

And he is able to lay on his tummy and keep his head up for greater periods of time.  He has rolled over from tummy to back three times, but perhaps it was a fluke thing because he hasn't done it again since.

Other new things he can do:  I can put a toy just out of his reach, and he will find a way to get to it.  Everything that he can hold or grasp with his hand will also go into his mouth.  His favorite toy is a ball.  He is babbling alot, and he has also taken to squealing when he is excited.  I have heard him practicing a high-pitched screaming sound; I am assuming he learned that from Evie.  Great, what else will he learn from her?

Can't wait to see what he will do next!

No comments: