Sunday, May 16, 2010

Dalton Daycare

My friend, Katie H., has a beautiful little baby girl named Noriana.  Nori was born a few days after Isaac, so they are pretty much the same age.  You can find out more about them here on her blog. Katie is returning to work, and had an emergency need for a babysitter one day.  She asked me if I would be crazy enough to care for two four month old babies one day.  Am I crazy?  YES!!  And here are the pictures to prove it.

The day started off with a lot of excitement:  Nori is coming!  Evie was so excited at the prospect of being a little mama to TWO babies!  However, that excitement quickly dissolved to protests when we had to force her to go to school and play with her friends.  This loud protesting and crying, unfortunately, led to the quick dissolution of any good chance Nori had at her first nap of the day. 

Isaac was happy to see his little friend, and Nori thought he was entertaining, too.  


Here are the two of them, smiling at each other.  This was an awkward picture to take because I was holding Isaac with one hand and the camera in the other.  You can also get a closer (and out of focus) look at the little buddy's flat head.  Poor kid.


Of course, all that smiling and cooing turned into wailing and screaming.  Yes, I had to do this.  Both babies needed a nap, they weren't getting one, and they both lost it at the same time. I actually thought it was kinda funny; I even left them crying in the crib so I could run for the camera.  They did not appreciate that.  But you know what?  I did it!  I got them both to sleep.  And then there was peace in all the land…

After a relaxing nap, it was playtime again.  Here they are, checking each other out. 

Nori has such an adorable personality.  "Let's dance, Isaac!" as she lifts up her dress to do the cha-cha.  Isaac doesn't know how to cha-cha yet, so he just stared in amazement.

Later on, a more intimate conversation... 

… followed by some reading.
After this, it was almost time for another nap.  So I put one baby in the stroller, and the other baby strapped to me in a baby carrier and we walked the sidewalks in the neighborhood for 45 minutes.  I got a great work-out and both babies got a quality nap.  By the time we got back, Evie was home from school and got to play with Nori for a little bit before Katie arrived.  And thus ended the one day adventure of the Dalton Daycare.

Although this was fun (in it's own way--when is it really fun when one or more babies are crying their heads off?), I can't imagine doing this every single day, much less with a three year old running around at the same time.  I can say for sure that there would be no way any house chores, cooking, or any other work would get done.  My hat is off to any mother with twins, or multiple infants.  What a blessing, but also SO MUCH WORK.

Come back and visit us soon, Nori! 

No comments: