Friday, January 5, 2007

Community: Version 26.2



November 19, 2006 was a date that I had circled on my calander for over six months. It symbolized a long sought after dream, a goal, a monstrous challenge. It was on this date that I ran in the Philadelphia Marathon. I had followed a training plan from a book I had bought years before. When I say "followed", I am using that verb loosely, but it provided a good guidline for all those lonely and thoughtful preparatory miles. Through all the aches and pains I made it to the starting line (along with 10,000 other souls as you can see in the photo).



Running a marathon presents you with many interesting people to mingle with. All I had to say was that this was my first marathon and people slapped me on the back and gave me encouragment. As I ran, people wore indications of why they ran. Some ran for lost parents or family with pictures printed on their clothing. One guy's shirt said "Running to where I started". I noticed that lot's of people ran with their names written on their shirts. I found this strange until I started running down 3 miles of Chestnut street (where most of the the onlookers stood) and people were yelling out their names and cheering them on. It was a nice thought to have beer offerred to you as you finish mile 18, but they didn't have many takers! They seemed to be having a good time though! The whole trail was littered with encouragement and affirmations from fellow runners, which I gave out as well. None of the people I was running with were in danger of breaking any speed records that day, but it gave me a different glimpse on what community can be. We were struggling toward a common goal. We all knew what each other was going through and if somebody fell away or surge forward they were given or gave words to lift the other.

One shirt said "Runin' to Howard and Sade". I don't know who they are, but I know that they are loved. I got to thinking (there was a lot of time for thinking) what or who am I running for? I have thought about this for a while and running the marathon for me was a physical and mental test that I wanted to put myself through. Why, you might ask? Because it is my celebration of my life. I am alive. There is air in my lungs and strength in my muscles enough to travel 26.2 miles. I am alive and the possiblities that can come from this reality, which I did nothing to deserve, are worthy of celebrating. Each mile was a reminder of new possibilities that life can reveal if I am willing to go after them. The book I read that helped me prepare for the marathon stated that, "it takes a lot more courage to step up to the starting line than it does to finish it." Yes, that's true - with marathons and life too!

2 comments:

lillian said...

That is awesome Tim!!!That is a great question to ask" what am i running for?". It prompts a question to myself of "what am i living for,..or who or what does my life appear that i am living for?".
Great job on such a tremendous feat ! I hate running...so good for you,..i know it was a lot of work and well paid off too!
Lil

joshua said...

yessss! well put, Tim. I'm pumped now. I run a three mile circuit down here twice a week. It's true, "it takes a lot more courage to step up to the starting line than it does to finish it", but it's well worth the effort. (ahhh, sweet feel good in the synapses)